More works that need Council approval

In addition to a Complying Development Certificate (CDC) or Development Application (DA), you may need other formal approvals for certain parts of your development, or works associated with your development, such as new stormwater connections, driveway crossings or similar work. Such work requires Council approval to ensure it complies with the relevant standards.

We encourage you to seek any other approvals or permits before or at the same time you lodge your DA. This can help you to avoid delays or the need to make separate applications.

Section 68 local government activities

Section 68 of the Local Government Act 1993 covers many types of common works and activities that require Council's approval, including:

  • installing a manufactured home, movable dwelling or associated structure on land
  • carrying out water supply work
  • installing, altering, disconnecting or removing a meter connected to a service pipe
  • carrying out sewerage work
  • carrying out stormwater drainage work
  • connecting a private drain or sewer with a public drain or sewer under the control of a council or with a drain or sewer that connects with such a public drain or sewer
  • installing a domestic oil or solid fuel heating appliance other than a portable appliance
  • operating a caravan park or camping ground
  • operating a manufactured home estate
  • installing or operating amusement devices.

You can seek approval from Council for an activity under Section 68 of the Local Government Act 1993 as part of your Development Application under question eight on the DA form, or as a separate stand-alone application (eg, prior to a CDC).

Council will assess your application and where approval is granted, we will provide you with a letter that will include any conditions that apply to these works.

However, if you choose to apply for any of these activities or works at the same time as your Development Application, rather than lodge a separate Section 68 Application, you will not be required to pay any additional application fees associated with these works.

Section 138 Roads Act 1993 works within a road reserve

Council approval is required for any works proposed within the road reserve under Section 138 of the Roads Act 1993. This is to ensure public safety is maintained and that there is no liability or risk imposed on Council.

Works within the road reserve can include activities like:

  • erecting a structure
  • digging up or disturbing the surface of a public road
  • constructing a driveway crossover
  • removing or interfering with a structure
  • any other activities as defined within the Roads Act 1993.

Just like Section 68 activities, you can make a Section 138 Application by itself or as part of a DA.

If you are applying as part of a DA you will need to provide information about the works you wish to undertake, as listed in the DA checklist. Any conditions applicable to the works on the road will be included in the notice of determination for your DA.

Development & Environment team
02 6959 5510

Monthly Council updates: